Get ready to rock, ruck and rumble with top rugby teams at the Singapore National Stadium
Taking a break from the usual staycations and looking for something cool to do over the weekends? You’ve come to the right page. In two weeks time on 28 and 29 April, the world’s top rugby teams will be gathering at the Singapore National Stadium to fight it out for the HSBC Singapore Rugby Sevens trophy.
This competition is part of the 19th HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series. Singapore marks the eighth pit stop of the 10-leg series, with the finale happening in Paris on 10 June (the first leg kicked off in Dubai in November last year).
Don’t just take it from us, but judging from the scoreboard, you’ll be guaranteed a ball of a time (plus, we’re doing a giveaway so be sure to scroll to the end).
Lineup and fringe activities
Festivities start the day before at The Fullerton Hotel’s Post bar. Singaporean swimmer and Paralympic medalist Theresa Goh, who’s also the HSBC Rugby ambassador, will speak at the HSBC Health & Wellness seminar from 12pm to 2pm. In the evening, head to Clark Quay for the Music After 7s concert.
Kicking off on the first day are Scotland and Australia at 11am, followed by New Zealand and Wales at 11.22am. A total of 45 matches will be played across both days, which means you’ll have ample time to take part in fringe activities (there’s a Fun Zone for kids and a carnival).
The matches will complemented with headline acts by American disco group Village People. The sextet is most known for hits like Y.M.C.A, In The Navy and Go West. You’ll also enjoy local performances by Jack & Rai, Jive Talkin’ and Too Much Drama. And given that every sporting band needs a percussion group to liven the atmosphere, you can count on SMU’s Samba Masala for dynamic Asian and Brazilian beats.
But whatever you do, be sure to make it back in time for the finals on the second day, which kicks off at 8pm.
Rugby Sevens vs Rugby Union
Not sure what the difference is between Rugby Sevens and Rugby Union? Here are some pointers.
|Rugby Sevens||Rugby Union|
|Substitutes||Five, players can re-enter the match after being subbed out||Eight, players cannot re-enter the match after being subbed out|
|Game Play||Two seven-minute halves||Two 40-minute halves|
|Half Time||One of two minutes||10 minutes|
|Points||Five points for a try, two points for a conversion, three points for penalties and drop goals|
|Scoring / Possession||Scoring team gets possession of the ball for the next kick off||Opposing team gets possession of the ball|
|Penalties||Yellow card – Player is sent off for two minutes||Yellow card – Player is sent off for 10 minutes|
Premium: $220 per ticket (Four tickets for $750)
Category 1: $150 per ticket (Four tickets for $500)
Category 2: $50 per ticket (Four tickets for $170)
The tickets can be purchased online. Each ticket entitles you to watch all matches happening on both days. Youth tickets, family bundles and VIP packages are also available.
We’re giving away 5 pairs of Premium tickets (worth $220 each). Simply fill in the form below for a chance to win.
Giveaway terms and conditions:
• This giveaway is open to current and new subscribers to Robb Report Singapore’s mailing list.
• This giveaway ends at 11:59pm, GMT+8, 24 April 2018.
• Winners will be notified via email, and must collect the tickets from Robb Report Singapore’s office between 25 April to 27 April 2018.
• Prize is final; no cash equivalent or alternative prize will be given. Prize is non-transferable, non-exchangeable and strictly not for resale. If the winner is found to be selling the prize(s), Robb Report Singapore reserves the right to demand for the return of the prize.
• Robb Report Singapore shall not be liable for any loss, including but not limited to direct, indirect or consequential loss or damage, personal injury or death which is suffered or sustained (whether or not arising from any person’s negligence) in connection with participation in this competition or accepting or utilising a prize.
HSBC Singapore Rugby Sevens
28 and 29 April
Singapore National Stadium
1 Stadium Drive